Thursday, March 1, 2012

Collocation Tool-1

Tango, a bilingual collocational concordancer, is a marvelous tool developed at the Natural Language Processing Lab at National Tsinghua University in Hsinchu. Type in either

1] a word in English or

2] a word in Chinese,

and the concordancer will help you locate collocations for that word, along with plenty of context. What's even better is that next to each paragraph you will see a translation in the other language. The translations were NOT produced by a computer. Both the English and the Chinese sentences were written by native speakers writing in their own languages. The sentences come from an 11-year archive of Sinorama. Sinorama was a high-quality bilingual magazine published in Taiwan (now it is called Taiwan Panorama).

Below you can see a search I did for the word rice. Rice is a noun, so I clicked the "Noun" button. Then I clicked on VN to see verb-noun collocations. The concordancer found collocations with 7 different verbs: eat, grow and cook are the most common collocations. If I click on 1. eat rice (9), I will see 8 more paragraphs (8+1 = 9) and the original Chinese versions.

http://candle.fl.nthu.edu.tw/collocation/webform2.aspx

1 comment:

  1. Hello Mr. Matthew;
    "TENGO" this web-site is not the first time I'v ever seen. Last year, I took a 20-credit course of English teaching method in National Hsin-Chu University of Education. A teacher had introduced this useful tool for us.
    I knew this is a useful tool for writing. But I forgot it since the course had finished.thak you remind me to use it.

    ReplyDelete