Saturday, May 19, 2012

Verb Types 2--Linking & Complex Transitive

Be is the most common linking verb (V=).
In a sentence like Those dogs are spaniels,


Those
dogs
are
spaniels
Det
NC
V=
NC

spaniels is a complement 補語. A complement can be a NP, AdjP (The dogs are very noisy) or a PP (The kennelman is in the yard). The complement tells you more about the subject.


The dogs are very noisy (syntax tree)

The kennelman is in the yard

Complex transitive verbs (V++=) behave like a combination of a transitive verb and a linking verb. Try diagramming these four sentences:

1. Ruth considers the kennelman incompetent (= the kennelman is incompetent)

2. Young Taiwan voters elected Ma Yingjeou president

3. He called me an idiot (= He said that I am an idiot)

4. He called me a taxi (= He called a taxi for me 比較不自然)

Click on Read more to see the syntax trees below:



1. Ruth considers the kennelman incompetent (syntax tree)
2. Young Taiwan voters elected Ma Yingjeou president (syntax tree)
3. He called me an idiot (syntax tree)
4. He called me a taxi (syntax tree)


3 comments:

  1. Teacher...
    I really want to know what you mean on the class. The pratice time is not enough. some sentense still can't understand. like V++.
    till now, I still don't understand what it mean.
    I'm sorry of that. would you mind teach it again on the class. thank you! ^ ^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sir; We all have the same problem that lack of time to practice. Maybe it's not so difficult to understand but it takes time to practice. We need more practice. thank you! I've tried some sentences, I made some mistakes at first time, It was ok later .

    ReplyDelete
  3. teacher:

    It's not difficult to understand,but we need more time to practice sentences.I don't underestand,What is V++=? What is V++? What is V=?

    ReplyDelete